Friday, January 30, 2015

Healthy Banana-nut muffins

Bananas usually don't have the opportunity to get super ripe in our house, because I love the little suckers! For some reason this week, I had 3 left over....I think because we also had lots of other fresh fruit in the house as options (I've been on a clementine kick lately). 



So after getting in my 21 Day Fix Lower Fix workout, I reallyyyy was craving banana bread or muffins when I saw them & got out my go-to recipe...but then remembered that it is full of sugar & butter...not so healthy. So instead, I decided to try my own concoction & not allow any butter or sugar in it! I had pinned a while ago a chart that gave ideas on how to substitute these two things, so I tried a couple of the ideas & the muffins turned out pretty good! 

The only suggestion I do have is to possibly use a different type of flour. I used quinoa flour & while the muffins were still very good, they had a distinct quinoa taste. I would suggest trying oat flour, whole wheat flour or some other healthier choice that doesn't have a strong flavor.

Ingredients
*3 very ripe bananas
*2 eggs
*1/2 cup no sugar added applesauce (I used homemade applesauce that I made in the fall w/locally grown apples)
*1/4 cup honey
*1 1/4 cup Quinoa flour (you can substitute this with oat flour or whole wheat flour)
*1/2 tsp pure vanilla 
*1/2 tsp cinnamon
*1 tsp baking powder
*1 tsp baking soda
*7 stevia packets (optional to make it a little bit sweeter naturally)
*3/4 cup walnuts (optional)

Instructions
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Next, mash bananas in a bowl. Next, add in the eggs, applesauce, honey & vanilla and mix together. Last add in all of the dry ingredients and mix together! I didn't use muffin papers to line my muffin tin, but instead sprayed with coconut oil to be sure that they didn't stick. Place in oven & cook for around 20 minutes or until golden brown!
 Enjoy!
 (I filled my muffin tin up a little too high which is why they aren't very pretty...but they were yummy!)



No comments:

Post a Comment